Cb radio what's your setup and why? - WranglerTalk -Jeep Wrangler Forum
WranglerTalk -Jeep Wrangler Forum
xjtalksho.com

Go Back   WranglerTalk -Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK - Jeep Wrangler (2007-present) > Communications (JK)

Notices

Old 06-10-2013
GotRoks's Profile Fields

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 3
GotRoks is on a distinguished road
Points: 1,647, Level: 1 Points: 1,647, Level: 1 Points: 1,647, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
macossafari
Default Cb radio what's your setup and why?

I will start.....

I have had a few radios. Little fm radios that are supposed to go for miles but don't, then midland cb combined hand held and in cab radio 75-822 just not quite adequate, and now the cobra nw 29ltd classic used.

The cobra is adequate for trail use for distance, ease of use, and it is loud enough.

I mounted the radio up at the mirror. It is connected directly to the battery as I want the radio on regardless of the ignition switch. I just remember to turn it off.

The mount - aluminum ramp mount for a 8x2 board.

The back of the radio was silver and the bare wires didn't look great. So I painted the back flat black an used a wire loom to cover the cables to make for a clean install.

Before

After

Tera flex antenna mount. Antenna comes off with a quick disconnect for my firestikII tuneable antenna. I take it off to get into my garage.

I ran the antenna cable along the roll bar under the cloth padding and through the rear door to the antenna mount.

I am happy with the performance. The radio is not tweaked, or chipped, or pumped up beyond the factory 4 watts. Still happy with it the way it is for my use. I get 2 mile range any time and up to 10 miles on the flat on a great day.

Ant questions?
'08 JKU rubicon, auto | teraflex 4" 8 arm adjustable lift with monster track bars front and rear | 37"GY MTRcK | Mickey Thompson classic II 9"wide 4.5BS | coast driveshafts | RCV front axle shafts | SuperChips TrailDash with backup camera | SuperWinch EPi9 | KC daylighters | BushWackers flat fenders |

In the works DIY York OBA, high steer correction, above tire cargo rack, minor tweaking of suspension.
Old 06-10-2013
Just some guy
Mudderoy's Profile Fields

Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Chats: 94
Mudderoy has disabled reputation
Points: 34,005, Level: 1 Points: 34,005, Level: 1 Points: 34,005, Level: 1
windows_98_nt_2000ie

I haven't had a over head mounted radio since my 1983 4x4 Chevy. It was a 2 meter Amateur radio, but the concept is the same. This is a great place for a communications device. The speaker is already in the perfect position, assuming a bottom mounted speaker on the radio.

The only thing that concerns me, and perhaps I just over looked in it your post, is that pointy bit of metal that you have the radio mounted to. I know what I've hit my head on my curved over head switch box, turned on set of KC lights when I did, so I can only imaging what kind of damage that bracket, or just the radio will do if your head comes in contact with it.
Old 06-11-2013
GotRoks's Profile Fields

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
I haven't had a over head mounted radio since my 1983 4x4 Chevy. It was a 2 meter Amateur radio, but the concept is the same. This is a great place for a communications device. The speaker is already in the perfect position, assuming a bottom mounted speaker on the radio.

The only thing that concerns me, and perhaps I just over looked in it your post, is that pointy bit of metal that you have the radio mounted to. I know what I've hit my head on my curved over head switch box, turned on set of KC lights when I did, so I can only imaging what kind of damage that bracket, or just the radio will do if your head comes in contact with it.
Yes your right about speaker placement, it is the perfect spot due to the speaker is in the bottom of the radio. Basically when the cb was made this is what the intended mounting location was. Growing up on a family farm we had many cb radios. We did majority of the mounting locations like this. Only way in a noisy tractor or 5 ton truck.

As for dangerous in the jeep I am not sure whether your thinking in an accident or just reaching over to get something out of the glove box. Keep in mind I am a tall guy at 6'1". The radio is in the way of the metal piece so no chance in striking it with my head, I would get 100% radio first. The radio is much to far away for me to get even close. Basically it has never even occurred to me or anyone else who has sat in my jeep. The only comment I have received has been I wish I could mount my cb like that. I know two friends with fj cruisers who have mounted their radios in a similar location now, and another who plans on relocating in his TJ. Maybe he won't like it in a TJ though. Everything is a lot closer to a person sitting in one of those as it is smaller inside compared to a jk.
'08 JKU rubicon, auto | teraflex 4" 8 arm adjustable lift with monster track bars front and rear | 37"GY MTRcK | Mickey Thompson classic II 9"wide 4.5BS | coast driveshafts | RCV front axle shafts | SuperChips TrailDash with backup camera | SuperWinch EPi9 | KC daylighters | BushWackers flat fenders |

In the works DIY York OBA, high steer correction, above tire cargo rack, minor tweaking of suspension.
Old 06-12-2013
Just some guy
Mudderoy's Profile Fields

Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Chats: 94
Mudderoy has disabled reputation
Points: 34,005, Level: 1 Points: 34,005, Level: 1 Points: 34,005, Level: 1
windows_98_nt_2000ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRoks View Post
Yes your right about speaker placement, it is the perfect spot due to the speaker is in the bottom of the radio. Basically when the cb was made this is what the intended mounting location was. Growing up on a family farm we had many cb radios. We did majority of the mounting locations like this. Only way in a noisy tractor or 5 ton truck.

As for dangerous in the jeep I am not sure whether your thinking in an accident or just reaching over to get something out of the glove box. Keep in mind I am a tall guy at 6'1". The radio is in the way of the metal piece so no chance in striking it with my head, I would get 100% radio first. The radio is much to far away for me to get even close. Basically it has never even occurred to me or anyone else who has sat in my jeep. The only comment I have received has been I wish I could mount my cb like that. I know two friends with fj cruisers who have mounted their radios in a similar location now, and another who plans on relocating in his TJ. Maybe he won't like it in a TJ though. Everything is a lot closer to a person sitting in one of those as it is smaller inside compared to a jk.
No I mean hitting your head on it from off road activities. I forget that the space between the top of my head and the XJ are like 1/2" compared to about 3" in the TJ. I've never sat in a JK so I was thinking of it like my Jeep. Just scared me to see that 90 degree angle on the mount. I'm sure you thought of everything, carry on.
Old 06-12-2013
GotRoks's Profile Fields

macossafari

Yeah it's bigger than a TJ, more slope to the windshield and bigger inside compared to a xj and wj ( I have one of those). I could never hit my head on it offroad. Or each to their own. I love it there.

Now let's see others setup. Can be anything xj TJ jk FJ yj.

Old 04-02-2018
mattheor's Profile Fields

Chats: 0
mattheor is on a distinguished road
Points: 942, Level: 1 Points: 942, Level: 1 Points: 942, Level: 1
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Before I modified a rugged ridge mount so that I can put my CB in between the visors.